Sunday, January 10, 2010

Seeing the Boobies

We got up just before 5 am to leave our luggage for the porters to take the boat. After a breakfast of fresh fruit we flew to Guayaquil. I was very happy to be at sea level again.

The last two days I felt tired, weak headed, and was running to the bathroom every 15 minutes from drinking so many liquids to combat the altitude sickness. I think I had a glimpse of old age.

We saw many spectacular volcanic peaks on the flight to Guayaquil. As we came into the Galapagos, they opened all the overhead compartments and fumigated them (my father and I covered our mouths).

After checking into the stateroom, we took a Zodiak boat to shore and did the long walk on N. Seymour Island. Very rocky, but we were amazed to see all the animals so close up (I suppose everyone says that). There were sea lion pups at the landing dock (they smell), swallow-tail gulls, iguanas, marine lizards, great frigates, magnificent frigates, and blue-footed boobies. We saw the frigages and the boobies engaged in their mating dances, sea lion pups nursing and boobies trading off the job of sitting on eggs. After 2 hours it was back to the ship for dinner and dessert.

I am going to bed early, since we are signed up for the 7am boat trip.

No comments: