Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hong Kong

It's really strange being here in Hong Kong airport. On the one hand, I've never been this far away from "home" before. I really am on the other side of the world; 16 hours time difference. First time I've ever crossed the international date line. This is also the first place I've ever traveled to where I didn't speak a single word of the local language, leaving me feeling far more helpless than I'm comfortable with.

On the other hand, it's basically a large, international airport. In other words, completely generic. We even have generic Christmas carol muzak wafting into the Cathay Pacific business class lounge. I may be in China right now, but it doesn't really "feel" like China.

The flight was ok. It was over 14 hours and our seats didn't recline; instead they slid forward, tilting my head at an uncomfortable angle. Rather than further strain my sore neck, I slept sitting straight up. Luckily, the Ambien worked and I slept over four hours, and neither the occasionally screaming toddler two rows ahead of us, nor the sick and coughing gentleman across the aisle from me prevented me from falling asleep.

The breakfast options this morning were mushroom omelet or something called congee. I thought I would try the latter, but I got a glimpse of it and it looked like across between chicken and egg drop soup and thin porridge, so I switched to the omelet at the last minute.

Both my father and I are fine. We have about 2 hours before the last leg of our flight to Hanoi. Dad's particularly happy that they have bananas in the lounge.

I will write more in Hanoi when I am able.

[This was originally posted this morning on my other blog by mistake]

No comments: